Jun 9, 2010

Sweet end to a stressful afternoon....

After spending three hours this afternoon sorting out all the insurance crap from my wreck, I was feeling a little crabby.

Thanks to Andy, the night
ended on a sweet note with some Rhubarb & Strawberry Crisp. I was being lazy and watching TV when I glanced over to see Andy putting this yummy treat together and taking pictures along the way so I could blog about it!

Now, you must know that I do not like rhubarb but I LOVED the crisp that Andy made. It was seriously delicious!

So I'm going to hand the keyboard over to him and let him walk you through the process of making this yummy dessert, because you have got to try it for yourself!


Ok, start with some ripe stalks of rhubarb, or red celery as some 'round these parts prefer to call it.. you want to end up with about 3 - 4 cups


Photobucket


and about 3 cups of strawberries. This is just a few less than one of those 1lb packages they sell, so you can use the whole thing if you want it sweeter.


Photobucket


chop em up til they look like-a-this


Photobucket


Then add about a cup 'o sugar or maybe a bit less depending on how sweet your strawberries are and how sweet you like it. I like it tart, so I went less, also add 2-3 tablespoons of flour and stir just enough to mix it up, then add to a 9x13 baking dish.



Photobucket

Next, combine ingredients for the crisp part. 1.5 cups flour, 1c oats, 1c brown sugar, 1c butter. Mix it to a crumbly consistency, but do not pulverize it.


Photobucket

Add to the top of the filling. Note: this will make a little bit of a thicker"crust" which is fine with me, but if you prefer a thinner crust, you can either make a bigger batch of filling or reduce the ingredients in the crisp proportionately.



Photobucket

Pop it into the oven which is preheated to 375 and set your timer for 45 minutes. It should come out looking something like this and smelling good enough to eat!



Photobucket
Definitely serve this a' la mode (which I believe is french for "in the style" and I dont think anyone can argue that ice cream will go out of style anytime soon!)

Now, don't you think my man is just totally amazing? I am so lucky!

xoxo-Kimberly

3 comments:

Andy's Dad

Somebody must be taking lessons from PW.

Kimberly @ Bookmark To Blog

Maybe he's secretly reading her when I'm not looking! I was pretty surprised to look over and see him taking pictures of the process. I asked him why he was doing it and he said "so we can blog about it!" Duh! haha

Kim

You're one very lucky woman!

Post a Comment