Jul 20, 2010

What's growing round these parts?

So I realized I haven't gushed much about our garden or flowers this year. That's probably because we have had a little trouble and I let myself get discouraged.

Our problem was that the entire earwig race had decided to take up residence in our yard and munched nearly everything I'd taken the time to plant. The most disheartening were my precious dahlias that had been eaten clean down to the stems.

"All my flowers are deeeeaaadd!! I give up. I'm never planting anything... ever... again!" I had moaned, slumping down on my glider to pout.

"Ah, don't be such a Negative Nancy." Andy said. Then he took me to Home Depot and bought me some insect killer.

I think it's helped because things seem to be reviving themselves. Andy really can fix anything. Now I feel like I have something to show off finally!

Anyway, here's what I've spied so far this summer:

First up, is the garden. This is how it looked in June. See those plants lined up against the fence? Those are my giant sunflower plants.


Here's a blurry picture of how tall my sunflowers were two weeks ago:


And this is how tall they were yesterday. No blooms yet, but they're almost ready!

Photobucket


Our garden is looking pretty good too!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

I put together some planters this summer to set on either side of our new glider.



Photobucket

They are the envy of the neighbor ladies :)

Photobucket


The glider still needs a paint job. We'll get to that after we finish the other 2 zillion things on our To Do List.

Photobucket

More flowers from our yard...

These daisies came from Andy's aunt. I can't believe how they completely took over the space!



A lot of these flowers were freebies from Andy's parents yard. I got some of them from one of our neighbors too. Can't beat that! Sorry about the blurry pictures. I'm still learning how to use Andy's fancy camera.

Bleeding Heart:

Photobucket


Anemone:

Photobucket

Peony:

Photobucket

Iris:

Photobucket


Mint!

Photobucket

Day Lily:

Photobucket

Hollyhock:

Photobucket


One of the dahlia's that got eaten:

Photobucket


One of the dahlia's that survived the massacre:

Photobucket

Hollyhock:

Photobucket

Columbine:

Photobucket

Hollyhock:

Photobucket

Anemone:

Photobucket

Mystery flower:

Photobucket


And there's still more to look forward to as the summer goes on!

xoxo-Kimberly

0 comments:

Post a Comment